Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Pre-1/2 Marathon Day with My Mother


I run every half marathon with my mother, so the day before the run we have lots of fun shopping and hanging out with each other.  We shop at stores we have never been to and try out new restaurants.  The morning started off with dropping our stuff off at my sister's apartment in Atlanta.  Our first goal was to check out the Sweet Auburn Curb Market in downtown Atlanta.  This place has been around for so many years, but we have never been there, plus its one of those places Rachel Ray visited on her show $40 a Day, so it must be good. Ha!

Check out the episode here:

This place was amazing.  All kinds of meats, vegetables, and fruits.  There are also many restaurants, a coffee shop, and even a popcorn shop!  The main reason we went there was to finally, after all these years, try Sweet Auburn BBQ.  We were not disapointed.  We both ordered the Auburn Street Taco at only $2.99 each with a choice of fried rib, pulled pork, chicken, or brisket on a warm 6 inch flour tortilla, topped with Asian cole slaw and a Sweet Auburn pickle.  We ordered the pulled pork and the pickle was kind of hot, but so good!  I've actually been thinking about that taco for days.  There are also at least 6 different bbq sauces that you can get.  I got the St. Louis style bbq sauce. Mmm!


After we left the market, we drove over to Anthropologie's downtown store on Howell Mill Road.  Not much in there that interested me.  I usually see cute tea cups and saucers, but not this time.  I wanted to buy my sister a gift in there, but oh well.

Mother and I were craving coffee and Caribou Coffee was calling our name.  We actually prefer Caribou over Starbucks.  The coffee is stronger there!  We both ordered a Northern Lite Espresso Cooler.  I usually only order hot drinks, but thought I would try it.  Very tasty!
From there we went over to The Vitamin Shoppe.  I was looking for Click! but I cannot seem to find it in any store around Atlanta.  I have been ordering it online, but was hoping to be able to pick some up instead of having to wait for it to be delivered.

It was almost 3 p.m., so we decided to go back to the apartment and watch The Young and the Restless and kind of take a break from all the running around Atlanta we had been doing all day.  After the soap went off, we drove over to Cumberland Mall, and I phoned in a to-go order at Ted's Montana Grill.  While we were waiting 15-20 minutes for the order to be ready, we walked in H&M, which is right across from Ted's.  Store seemed to be full of cheaply made clothes, but I did find a $3 grey sweater dress in the girls department.  It would have been a long sweater on me instead!  Did not buy it.
Dinner:  Bison Burger with American Cheddar Cheese served on a Whole Wheat Bun, fresh-cut fries, shredded lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, with a little American flag stuck in the burger.  I think the quality of the bison burger has gone down.  I usually love these, but the burger seemed to be twice as thick (which I like thin burgers) with no flavour.  The fries were bland and wimpy.  Very disappointing meal. 

After dinner, I got all my running clothes, fuel belt, shoes, sports beans, camera charged, and everything else I needed to take with me ready for the half marathon the next day.  Since I set my alarm for 4 a.m., I decided to go to bed around 9 p.m., but ended up restless and rolling around in bed for about an hour.  I think I woke up at least once every hour that night. Geez!


No comments:

Post a Comment