Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Seaside 1/2 Marathon



My mother and I drove about 5 hours down to Seaside, FL for the Seaside 1/2 Marathon.  This was our second year running this race.  It was our favorite half marathon so far out of all the ones we have ran, but this year, it just was not the same.  I think I was just tired before I even arrived.  This years race fee increased to $90 and after a certain date it increased to $115.  The half marathon is limited to 2200 runners and the 5K the same day is limited to 800 runners.  This race actually filled up around November or December of 2010.  Watch for the registration opening and SIGN UP EARLY!!!  That was even faster than the last year's race and there is always people complaining on Facebook about not getting in. The course is out-and-back on HWY 30-A from the start in Seaside, west to Santa Rosa Beach (where you turn around), and then run back to Seaside. 

Aerial shot of Seaside!

I did not set out to PR for this 1/2 because I just wanted to enjoy myself and look around to see what all has changed since I lived there.  Pretty much looks all the same except for a few new shops and some new homes.  But, in the end, I did PR, and beat my previous time by 40 seconds!!!!



For those that have never been to Seaside, the water is emerald green and the sand is snow white!

The race expo (which is small) is held the day before out on the grassy area next to the Seaside Neighborhood School.  Actually, the money raised from the race is used to help the school.  At the expo, I received my number, packet, short-sleeve technical shirt, and a lot of papers about local activites to do.  On the plus side, the main sponsor is Vera Bradley.  She actually has an Inn at Seaside decorated with all of her fabric patterns.  All finishers of the 5K and Half received a Vera Bradley bag that retails for around $50 in the Spring 2011 patterns.  Ok back to the expo,  while waiting in an extremely long line that somehow seemed to be moving fast, some Vera Bradley reps walked around handing everyone 2 zip card/change purses valued at $12.  My mother and I went home that day with 8 zip card/change purses!
 



The Seaside Half Marathon is always put together very well.  Water and Gatorade stations are everywhere along the course.  There was one place where I received Chocolate GU.  Music is played everywhere from peoples cars and there are always people cheering you on.  The course is also flat with maybe 2 or 3 "hills".  Nothing extremely difficult to run up! 


The shirt is designed by a local Seaside artist and the medal has the same print on it.

My mother and I will not be back for the 2012 race because we want to either run the Snickers Marathon or the Berry Half Marathon which is held on the same weekend.  Here are some more photos from the weekend!
Pre-race photo around 6am Central time!  I did not get to wear my little pink tennis skirt and tank top because a cold front went through the night before causing the temperature to drop to the 40s, so I wore my North Face shirt and pants.  It was extremely windy that day too!  The night before, I didn't even get to sit out on the balcony because it was so stormy and there were tornado warnings all night long!!!

Michael drove over and met me at the finish line!

Photo above is when we were on our way back to my car in Watercolor, which is a short walk away.  After that we went to Grayton Beach, for a grande nonfat earl grey tea latte!  As usual, very few barisitas can make a decent earl grey latte :(  Everyone must have been thinking about Starbucks post-race because it took about 30 minutes to get our lattes!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the PR! Looks like a cool little race and the Vera perks - at least you can always make some money back with resale. Nice perks but do the guys get the same thing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsay! Yes, even the guys get Vera bags! The guys seem to be smiling and carrying their bags on their shoulders!!! I've also seen some of the guys give their bags to their wives or girlfriends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. um. i may have to run this one just for the vera bradley and for the fact that i love seaside!! thanks for sharing this, i never would have known about it!!

    ReplyDelete