Monday, April 4, 2011

Atlanta Women's 5K


March 26, 2011-  My sister and I decided to run this 5K together and then spend the rest of the day shopping.  We also decided to match for the race by wearing our soccer jerseys.  I wore my England jersey and my sister wore her Italia jersey.  The race was held in the Candler Park area of Atlanta which is very pretty and historic.  This all women's race cost $25 and started at 8am.  The race started out hilly and continued with rolling hills.  The race finished on a trail on the north side of the Candler Park golf course.

As we crossed the finish line, we were handed a beautiful red carnation and an adidas shirt, which is now one of my favorite.  I'm kind of tired of all the white, grey, and black shirts, so this turquoise with lime green stripes shirt is great!  There was water, fruit, soda, granola bars post-race.

This was not one of my favorite 5K's, so I do not plan on running it again.  The only reason I did run it this year was because of the shirt.  I found there to be a lot of annoying people all over the road, so I had to do a lot of swerving all over the place just to get around them.  Also had to be careful not to turn my ankles over because we all know that Atlanta roads are full of potholes and are not level in many places.  I love going on quiet runs where there is complete silence.  It's just so peaceful.  This 5K was definitely not that.  Not to offend anyone, just all the screaming and loud-mouths sometimes are just very annoying.  I've ran distances from 5K to 1/2 marathons and at least some point in all my other races there was silence, not this one.  Ok, I will stop complaining now!

After we left the race, we decided to go to the cutest little bookshop in the Poncey Highlands area.  The Atlanta Book Exchange is a used bookstore in this very old house on North Highland Avenue.  There are books from every genre and there are thousands of them.  The cutest older woman owns the store.  She has a very soft-spoken voice and is always glad to help you find whatever you need or might be looking for.  As always, my sister bought books!  She loves to read and collect books!

No comments:

Post a Comment