My first 1/2 marathon of the year! It was held at Robins Air Force Base in Warner Robins, GA. My mother and I stayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites across from the base. We did not have to wake up or leave as early by staying there. The hotel room was nicer than some of the others I have stayed in. The night before the race I went to Starbucks and ordered a Grande nonfat London Fog. Sometimes I like playing a game at Sbux to see if they realize what a London Fog is. I've had some baristas look at me in confusion. Luckily, at this Sbux in Warner Robins, the barista knew exactly what I was talking about. He said he preferred it being called London Fog instead of the new name: Earl Grey Latte. My London Fog that evening turned out perfectly.
We woke up on race morning around 6:45 and left the hotel around 7:15. The race started at 8am. This marathon has been known to be rainy and cold every year. The temperature on race morning was around 23 degrees and by 11 am, it was getting close to 50 degrees and no rain or clouds. The race course was a loop inside the base around the airstrip and all the buildings. If you did the marathon, you would have made 2 loops. Actually, I cannot imagine doing 2 loops because it became very boring 3/4 the way through the 1/2 marathon. The air force also hosted a marathon at the same time as ours, but this one was located in Kandahar, Afghanistan and was ran at the same time. The race began and finished at the Museum of Aviation with the race starting and stopping as you ran past planes. During the race, fighter jets were taking off and doing turns and loops in the sky. This was quite entertaining. The course was quite flat with only one small hill half way through the course and a small hill to get to the finish line. Water stops were abundant with them being located every 1-2 miles. H2O and Gatorade were provided. The medal is nice too. It is one of my favorites in my collection.




Yay - congrats! Love the shirt & the medal too. And fighter jets flying above a race - pretty sweet!
ReplyDeleteJust found ur blog via another blog! Love ur bucket list concept! I see that you have some RNR races on your list.
ReplyDeleteAre you doing RNR Mardi Gras this year (aka in a week)? haha
Hi! I'm not doing the RNR Mardi Gras this weekend! That would have been fun. Hopefully next year!
ReplyDelete